The City Sentinel, staff report
Guest pianists Heather Conner and Jill Jantzen join the Brightmusic Chamber Ensemble for four concerts August 3, 5, 7 and 10 at First Baptist Church in Midtown Oklahoma City. Brightmusic responded to the pandemic with free virtual concerts broadcast on YouTube and Facebook for the previous season.
Concert organizers said, “We are looking forward to live concerts at this new venue, which has plenty of space for socially remote headquarters.”
The festival continues last year’s global celebration Ludwig van Beethoven‘s 250e anniversary alongside a wide range of other works by contemporary composers, women and African Americans like the King of Ragtime, Scott joplin.
Concert n ° 1 – Tuesday August 3 7:30 p.m.
– Ludwig van Beethoven, Quintet for piano and winds in E flat major, op. 16
– Gabriel Fauré, Pavane for flute, clarinet and piano, arr. by Michael Webster
– Louis Moreau Gottschalk, Souvenir de la Havane for clarinet flute and piano, arr. by Michael Webster
– Louis Moreau Gottschalk, Grande Tarantelle for flute, clarinet and piano, arr. by Michael Webster
– Francis Poulenc, Sextet for flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, bassoon and piano
Concert n ° 2 – Thursday August 5 7:30 p.m.
– Jennifer Higdon, piano trio
– Edward Knight, Inbox for flute, viola and piano
– Ludwig van Beethoven, Trio for piano, violin and cello in B flat major, Op. 97, “Archiduc”
Concert n ° 3 – Saturday August 7 4:00 p.m. (welcome to follow)
The Mae Ruth Swanson Memorial Concert
– Ludwig van Beethoven, Sonata for piano and violin in C minor, op. 30, n ° 2
– Harry Burleigh, Southland Sketches Selections for Violin and Piano
– William Bolcom, Afternoon Cakewalk Selections for Clarinet, Violin and Piano: Easy Winners by Scott Joplin and Graceful Ghost Rag by Bolcom
– Roshanne Etezady, Bright Angel for clarinet and piano
Concert n ° 4 – Tuesday August 10 7:30 p.m.
– Claude Debussy, Trio for violin, cello and piano in G major
– Libby Larsen, Argot for clarinet, violin and piano
– Ludwig van Beethoven, Symphony No.2 in D major, Op. 36, for piano trio, transcribed by Beethoven
The musicians present at the festival are:
Gregory Lee & Katrin Stamatis, violins
Shaohong Betty Yuan, viola
Jonathan Ruck, cello
Parthena Owens, flute
Lisa Harvey-Reed, oboe
Chad Burrow, clarinet
Kate Pritchett, horn
Rodney Ackmann, bassoon
Amy I-Lin Cheng, Heather Conner & Jill Jantzen, piano
Admission to each concert is $ 20 at the door and free for children, active duty military personnel and students with ID.
Or save $ 30 with a festival pass available by mail or online at brightmusic.org/passes. Due to the cancellation of several live concerts last year, pass holders for the entire 2019-2020 season can attend the 2021 festival at no cost.
Brightmusic Chamber Ensemble, Oklahoma City’s own chamber ensemble, will present its 2021 festival and 2021-22 season of fine classical chamber music at First Baptist Church, 1201 N Robinson in downtown Oklahoma City.
Free parking is available to the north and southwest of the building.
For more information on the ensemble and upcoming concerts, visit www.brightmusic.org .